Tuesday, July 24, 2007

It's All Over But the Packing...

Well, I leave on Friday night at 6:00 p.m. I have my Visa in hand and have received my last Hep shot. By the way, it costs a pretty penny to prepare for overseas travel. I'm glad this first trip is on my company. The Visa itself was $173, passport (expedited because the U.S. gov't is incredibly slow) - $160 and I don't even want to know how much my shots were. Anyway, I'm pretty much set at this point except I've not packed yet. I'm a little worried about obtaining the currency but that's my travel OCD surfacing a little early. Everyone keeps assuring me that I'll be fine once I arrive.

So earlier this week I ask in my team in my staff meeting, (they've all been before), 'So, they have cabs, right?'

Because honestly, the biggest thing worrying me is getting around and not being able to speak, well, Indian. Everyone tells me, if you get stuck, find a young person. The older generation is pretty traditional and doesn't speak English but the younger generation is getting pretty westernized.

'Rickshaws, mostly. But some cabs.' One of my Sr. Analysts says.

'Rickshaws....' I say slowly. I have this picture of a little Indian trying to haul my big butt around in a two-wheeled contraption. My team is grinning at me.

'The Indian team is gonna be scared of you.' Someone says.

'What do you mean? I have a naturally sweet and kind disposition.' I am busy googling 'rickshaw' to make sure it is what I think it is and ignore the glances they exchange.

Sure enough...this is a rickshaw.

'Yeah, I'm pretty much gonna need a cab.' I say.

'Uh huh. The Indians are gonna be terrified of you.'

Bah.

Next time I write, it will be from Bangalore. :-) Until then...

No comments: